All this talk about President Obama and his birth certificate made me laugh. Although I have never questioned the authenticity, apparently some people think that it could be fake. Do they really think that over 50 years Obama's parents started planned this trickery? Wow, I'm all for planning a good trick but man, but that one really took forever to pull off.
I started to think, I suppose I could fake where I was born but I could not fake the time frame I was born in. Here are a few of the things I remember as a kid growing up on 50 acres in Central New York.
When I was a kid, our station wagon’s rear seat faced backwards AND had wood paneling on the side it. Also, seat belts were for sissys, we slept in the back part and rode in the back of pick up trucks.
I grew up on Tang and Koolaid - all full of artificial colors and sweeteners.
If I wanted to drink some water, I went to the sink and poured a glass.
I remember the song, “Convoy.”
CB's were the in thing - I actually had "call name and numbers". Mine was Rosebud KABY1518
When using an 8 track tape player, a book of matches would prop up the tape in the player - PERFECTLY.
I had big hair at one point in my life - now I hardly have any hair.
I remember “The Spirit of 76!” - actually my sister Kelley graduated that year.
I had clackers before they were pulled off the market due to eye injuries.
Stores sold candy cigarettes that I could blow into and “smoke” would come out.
I was of legal drinking age when I turned 18, then in December it turned to 19 so I couldn't drink. Then I turned 19 and the law changed to 21.
My gym class wore uniforms made of polyester which sucked because they would not allow me to sweat - but lucky for the other kids on our "late bus", our school locker rooms had showers.
After breakfast my cousin's and I went outside and didn't come back until dinner, except perhaps for a lunch break-IF we were lucky.
I remember the first Rubix cube and although I could never do it, I remember the occasional nerd who could. I thought they were freaks of nature - actually I still think they are freaks.
Our pool floaties involved old tire tubes. The tube had to be placed perfectly in order to not dive into and receive a 10" scrape from the stem.
Dinner was at exactly 5 pm and then my parents would read the local paper, comment on who died and then they watched the news at 6:00 for more sad news.
My first record player was a blue Mickey Mouse one, the needle was his arm and it had two speeds.
The 45 record was exactly $1.00 (.96 plus $.04 tax)
Two words - Clogs and Dr. Scholl.
I owned a Jellybean Jacket which was blue, I so wish I had it today.
I owned a bubble umbrella and most recently bought my daughter one at Target.
I had a banana seat on my bike and some bad ass handle bars - only motorcycles required helmets.
There was no such thing as pizza delivery but I had my milk delivered to my door in glass bottles. I begged for chocolate milk.
My parents had 3 children to rotate who had to get up and change the channel. This was of course after waiting 10 minutes for the TV to warm up.
I owned a pet rock and slime with worms.
Our kitchen counter was not granite but orange.
My parents saved S&H Greenstamps.
I had a Christmas Club at our local bank.
Its a wonder I survived at all.
Thursday, April 28, 2011
Yes, I was born in 1964
Posted by KandeeInNY at 10:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This was a sweet little walk down Memory Lane; I could relate to a lot of it.
My CB handle was Daisy Duck (I know, sexy, right? I have no idea what I was thinking, except that I can talk like Donald Duck.)
Introducing Pakistani Rishta service
Welcome to Rishta Pakistan Website Allah Swt made your partner already
in heaven so we help for finding your life partner at earth through this
website Create an account and look for your Muslim life partner
photo booth rentals in australia
photo booth rentals in usa
roofing contractor
gutter company
Post a Comment