One of life's lessons was learned today by my daughter..
She can't control other people's lives...
Rachael moved into her own apartment about 6 months ago much to my dismay.. I didn't want her to move out but she was convinced that it was a grand idea. She had a couple of friends that promised were all in agreement to get an apartment together. It was to be a grand experience, after all, they were the best of friends..
I think the quickest way to lose a best friend is to move into with one.
After 2 months, one of her roommates decided that she didn't have didn't want to be out on her own so she moved back home. Now apparently its not her old roommate's portion of the rent isn't her problem but Rachael's problem.
The ex-roommate isn't going to continue to pay her share of rent and she doesn't really care if it ever gets paid, she doesn't have any money and she is "sorry".
Hearing my daughter in tears say that its not "fair" and for me to not have any words that help her just sucks. I've always taught my children to do what they know is right. I guess part I forgot to let her know that not everyone teaches their children the same moral code.
I just want to ask the ex roommate's parents how they could have possibly forgotten to do that.
Thursday, April 21, 2011
The Golden Rule - doesn't always apply to everyone
Posted by KandeeInNY at 9:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So true about becoming roommates with best friends is often a really fast way to lose a best friend. I had that happen to me with an apartment rental too many years back and two girls from this area and our church who had been besties forever became college roommies for their freshman year and ended up not speaking by mid-way through the first year! I think they may have slightly mended their fences now -20 years later -but it's sad to see things like that happen. Old saying ya know "You never know someone until you live with 'em" still holds water doesn't it?
Reality is far less romantic than the real thing, sadly. I hope she finds a new roommate!
hahaha the Word Verification is Sucit.
The same thing happened with my oldest son only (they moved 1500 miles away) and signed a year lease...My son being the only responsible and reliable one ended up alone with the lease...and worked his butt off to pay for that years rent. The kid that doesnt "own" his own responsibily is wrong...but WHAT ABOUT THE PARENTS...dont they know any better either???
Im sorry this happened to Rach, but Im really happy AND PROUD that she did what was right....{hugs}
Post a Comment