Thursday, April 1, 2010

April 1 - why do you only come once a year?

Why not laugh, smile, pull a prank or tell a funny joke every day? My daily goal in life is to laugh - laugh through life. I’d rather laugh than cry besides, I’m pretty ugly when I cry.

We've all heard the cliché "laughter is the best medicine". When I was sick it was easier for me to laugh than take my crappy chemo but I did both. Since then, I have not stopped laughing. The only problem is now that I am getting older, sometimes I pee my pants. That too, makes me laugh.

A few years ago when I moved to California and was friendless, I had to make an effort to find friends. I needed cool/fun/exciting friends like Wacko Judy and Crazy Ange who I had to leave in NY. I thought I was pretty cool but apparently not everyone was willing to take that risk. After ruling out a few Stepford Wives in the area I took a chance and became friends with Carly's Girl Scout leaders.

The "leaders" had a "Bunko" group and soon enough I weaseled my way into their hearts and was able to secure an invite. Another friend was also invited to the open enrollment Bunko session. At the end of the night I had made the cut, she was sent packing - just like American Idol (well, that’s a stretch but she definitely did not get a second invite).

Actually, that was my first and ONLY Bunko experience as the group soon disbanded. After all the scheming, how could it be that our little group was so f*ck9d up, we could not even commit to bunko once a month? Was I going to let this new found friendship faultier? Heck no, I worked hard to infiltrate the click, I knew I had to take action. Thus the name changed from Bunko and became "Funko" (inserted the “f”) and times we even change that “f” to a "d" for Drunko. On Tuesday, it was Drunko night for me at Funko.

One of the ladies offered to drive and pick us up for the Happy Hour festivities, I quickly accepted. Generally, I am the designated driver so this was such a treat for me. We went to happy hour and had $5 Margaritas while playing lots and lots of pool. Of course the real pool sharks got a bit torched but honestly we did not even care. I'm not sure I even heard any of their grumblings over the whoohooo that projected several times from my mouth.

The night was filled with laughing, smiling and bitching. We’ve learned to laugh at our problems because we know everyone else is.

Maybe Billy Joel had a point....."I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints........the sinners are much more fun”?

One thing about my Bunko/Funko/Drunko friends is I can bitch at them, steal their food and then make them go to the bathroom with me. To others in bar they may all look like a bunch of bitches but they are my bitches.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

When I was getting the chemo, radiation, then surgery to remove the cancerous tumor, followed by more chemo -then my back went out on me, then more surgery for a urinary blockage and after that a colostomy, I often made fun of the situations I was facing. Some folks looked at me like I should be in the looney bin for doing that, after all, how can you find humor in pain, being sick, having all kinds of issues along those lines, was what they asked me. And my feeling then was and still is that the best way to give yourself that little bit more incentive to get better IS to make fun of anything and everything you can! Of course, a lot of my humor tends to be with a very sarcastic, sometimes cynical edge to it, but as long as I can find something funny in a situation, it always makes me feel better in some way!

I've always been a "Cow"girl said...

I wish I could have been there for you more when you were going through all that.. I thought of you so many times and my fingers dialed the numbers but I never found my voice.
<3 I am so happy and proud to see how far you have come from that mountain you climbed. <3

Mrs4444 said...

You are so fab, Kandee. Loved this post!