Monday morning, I went to work, and my boss called me in. I figured I f&cked up, was going to get my butt spanked for something, but that was not the case. She handed me an envelope containing a salon gift card and said "This is for you." Carefully, I opened the envelope, just in case it was loaded with arsenic and looked at her, quite puzzled. She had given me a $200.00 gift certificate to get my hair done.
See, I'm the cheapest person around. I mean, I will spend a million dollars on other people, but with myself, I'm cheap - I almost feel "unworthy."
On Tuesday, I entered the local TV station's contest to win a $50.00 gas card. Thursday, I get a call on my cell from an unknown person, who proceeds to tell me I won the contest, and my gas card would be arriving in the mail.
Yesterday, I went to help my friend, Debi, out. She had volunteered to run the Harvest Carnival at her daughter's elementary school. Even though Carly was way too, very, very busy on VMK, she and I decided we would go just to show our support, even though it was a rival elementary school. When we arrived, it was clear that Debi needed no help, as there were over 250 people there! I thought this would be a good time for Carly and I to "bond." Carly's plan was to - quick ditch Mom and go hang out with her friends.
There I stood, knowing pretty much no one, so I prepared to take one for the friendship team.
I stood around a bit, looked at crafts, and bought some tickets for a root beer float (yum). Then, even though I wanted to slit my wrists, because for the 5th time, I heard "Monster Mash," I decided it was up to me; I could sit there watching everyone in the world pass me by, or I could amuse myself. Looking around, I planned my strategy. One game unknown to me was the "Cake Walk." Interesting, I thought, but what’s the deal?
In NY, we have different ideas of amusement but one I had never participated in was a "Cake Walk." I'm not sure if its a "West Coast" thing or what, but never have I walked the cake walk, cat walk, or even the Boardwalk. I quickly found out the rules are simple; pay 2 tickets $.50/each and walk inside a circle with 20 chairs with other willing participants. When the music stops, sit down and then they call your chair number out of a bucket. This is my kind of game; I suck at jeopardy, my ADD kicks in for Monopoly. I could handle walking in a circle. Music starts, walk ----- Music stops, sit. Easy enough. Needless to say, I won... I was granted a "golden" ticket and I was able to pick out any cake I wanted to from the gallery.. Sweet (no pun intended). Of course, I picked the biggest cake available; it was a pumpkin/cream cheese coffee cake, at least 8" tall!
My next thought was.. that was to easy... I have to try again..
Back to the Cake Walk and yup, I won again.
Figuring that my hips did not need two cakes strapped to my ass, I gave one away.. It's all about the thrill of the hunt.
Not a bad week, not a bad week.
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Cake Walk, Cat Walk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Holy cow, Woman! I hope you went to the casino before the week ended!
I attended many a cakewalk as a kid in grade school but haven't seen one in years. Good stuff. How was the cake?
Post a Comment