Sunday, September 7, 2008

Webster NY - The Ryans

When we went to NY in August, our first stop was to visit our old neighbors, Joe & Carol Ryan. They were very good neighbors to us after our third year on DeWitt Road. I'm not saying the first two years were bad, they were not around much as they had a cottage to tend to and to be honest, my kids were young and loud. I can't say I blame them for not coming over to my side of the fence that often as sometimes, I too was afraid of my kids.
Joe & Carol have two sons that are almost my age (early 40's) who don't really have many goals in life. Sometimes, they still "live at home". Joe & Carol had to utilize the "tough love" procedures in parenting and I think they just got to point in their lives where it was just easier to throw up their hands and say fuck it.
After a while, the Ryans managed to let their guard down and come on my side of the fence, we began to enjoyed each other's company. When I was sick, the Ryans came over with food and we get my kids off the bus if Chuck and I were not there due to doctor appointments. They always wanted to help us often asking if there was anything they could do for us. Mrs. Ryan listened to me whine and cry, mope and laugh during our tea time. I think that my kids ended up being surrogate grandchildren to Joe & Carol as their sons definitely were not in a position to give them any and it would not have been a wise decision on their part. Joe & Carol have a very big extended family as I think Joe was one in 8 kids born to an Irish Family. Joe & Carol love St. Patrick's Day, Ireland and celebrate anything that might be considered Irish. They are good Irish people.
Mrs. Ryan and I started having tea after a few years; having 3 young kids did not give me much of a chance to escape to far. If I could not be found on our lot, the first place the kids checked was Mrs. Ryans house. For the most part, the kids were good in her house but there was always something to check out as she collected Boyds Bears and would set up a Bear Tea party using her stuffed Boyds. She had different outfits for the seasons or holidays and Carly especially found these tea times very interesting. I admit, I did too.
When we visited in August, I strolled over and looked at my old house. The gardens I sweated over and spent numerous therapy sessions in were all gone. The new owners bought a riding mower and had mowed it all down. Every Black-eyed-susan, poker plant, dianthus, hosta, coral-bells, everything. I know, it’s their house now, not mine - I should not say a thing. Starting to feel sad, I managed to see two Rose of Sharon tree survivors. So I snagged them. Stole them and flew them home to CA where I put them in a vase right away. Today, I looked at the vase and saw roots galore indicating they were thriving. I think they were happy to be here in California so I've planted them. I guess I've brought another bit of my old home into my new home. Next year, I will see what else I can steal from the ungrateful occupants of 858 Dewitt Road.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good neighbors are hard to find. My ex and I used to live in a cud-a-sac street in Huntington Beach. We knew everybody and everybody knew us. We looked after each others houses and every summer had at least a couple of block party bar-b que's. Miss those times...

Mrs4444 said...

Another great post! Love the pic. I'm glad you had these wonderful friends right next door to help you get through that rough, rough time.