When we moved to Cali almost 3 years ago, my two oldest were in high school, and Carly was in 2nd grade. I knew no one in the neighborhood, so I decided to possibly make another radical change in my life (besides moving 3,000 miles from my "home"). I decided to get a job.
I mean a "real" job." I only put quotes on a "real" job, because years ago, an elderly lady informed me that even though I was raising my three children and running a NYS registered daycare, I should get a "real" job - "a job outside of the home," for which I am paid (that is a direct quote from her, not me).
Over the years, I've worked for the Sheraton Hotel in their Sales and Marketing Dept. I've worked for lawyers, financial planners, doctors, and taught pre-school at the local YMCA.
I was actually on Craigslist, looking for an "L" shaped desk, when I saw a posting for employment. Ah, a new concept for me at the time; a job - one that I could actually make some $$ at. It was a crazy thought, but I was tempted nonetheless. I found a perfect job, close to my house, and it had flexible hours. I thought it was perfect, and for a couple years it has been, despite a few family squabbles I was dragged into to referee.
I have one employee I supervise directly (ironically, she has more hours than I do but that’s my choice). My "boss" is a lady (the "Vice President") and there is a "President" who runs the company. Oh, I forgot to mention that the Vice President and President are actually married, and one of the employees is his son, and his son's wife (whom I adore) also works there. You get it; it’s a "family business." All together, there are about 20 USA employees and 45 employees in a PI office.
The Vice President/my boss, has had her identity stolen at least 2x in the past three years, and apparently, on Friday afternoon, it happened again. Yesterday, I went to work, and my accounting program was locked; well not completely locked, but very little tasks could be done on my new "limited" software version of QuickBooks. I couldn't even access the flippin' petty cash register, for gosh sakes.
My husband says that I should not take it personally, but I am a woman, and I do. My husband says that she's just taking steps so that people (i.e. possibly someone in the office) don't have access to account numbers or social security #'s, or whatever items one snags when they "steal an identity." My husband, I love him, but he doesn't know much about office politics or how a woman thinks.
The person who took her identity could be anyone, not just someone in our office, but she makes many purchases on her cards; in fact, well over 150 transactions a month, so the credit card numbers could have been snagged by anyone. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact she also uses it to get her dogs groomed, purchase dogfood, write off daily business meals lunches, Ebay purchases, new business contacts pleasure trips to china , hairdresser appointments, bank loans, business meals Starbucks purchases, PayPal purchases etc. The point I'm trying to get across is that her numbers are in many, many places - not just in the office. Nonetheless, I'm a bit torqued and will be looking for a new job after I return in August from our Yankee trip.
Today, I was at work opening the mail, and guess what arrived? A new credit card with her name, complete with account information. (So much for restricting my Quickbook information so that I don't have access to account information.)
I guess I'm off to shop again...
I'm such a bitch.
Update-----> today (Wednesday), I've reread my post and I sound pretty nasty. I honestly think it is because my feelings are hurt and maybe Chuck is right, I shouldn't take it personal.
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Work.... It's so overrated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
And you're my favorite Bitch :) Love you...
Please offer some commentary on why you felt the need to buy a plane ticket for your friend, "Priscilla" with your bosses money.
(had to delete the first one, cuz there was a huge typo in it!)
Man, I just noticed ANOTHER typo! It should say boss's (I think). Anyway, no, you did not sound nasty, but I think you assessment is correct. Anyone would be hurt.
Post a Comment